Sunday, October 26, 2008

Triathlons & Dance Shows

I woke up on on Saturday morning and stumbled out of my room to find the court - yard at La Escondida had been taken over by bikes. And not just bikes - Tri-bikes. I did a double take since I am a dabbler in Triathlons. I immediately went back into my room, changed into my running clothes and donned my Ironman cap that I have coveted since crossing the finish line in Idaho two summers ago. I definitely got some attention and made instant connections. It turns out that there was a half Ironman the following day here in Mendoza. Some of the athletes that were competing were staying at this B & B. It was fun getting to know them and of course I had to go out on Sunday and cheer them on. The two women above and right were competing in their first half-Iron distance and were quite nervous. I could so relate to what they were going through.

I am happy to report that I was not tempted in the least to join in the activities. I know when I return that I will have to put my empanadas and Malbec aside and resume training. My daughter and I signed up for Iron Austria next summer right before I left. It was a long shot that we were going to get in because the race was sold out but......It looks like it is a go.
I wonder how many empanadas my bento box will hold...


That night I attended a dance performance that two of the servers from Ruca Malen were in. Florencia and Macarena, both of whom I had worked with for the past month, have been working hard getting ready for this show and I felt fortunate to be able to go and see them. I wasn't sure what to expect and was blown away the talent these two young ladies had. Watching them onstage brought back so many memories of my own daughters' dance shows. They both have hopes to come to the US and take dance classes. They are determined and hard working. I have a feeling I will be seeing them again one day - hopefully in the US.
Buenas Noches

No comments: