Friday, October 10, 2008

Spanish Lessons and Inter-Cultural Events.

I finished up the week working at Ruca Malen. It is busy there and it seems that this is where I am most needed. I had my most intense week so far, on top of working 6 days in a row; I also started to work with a Spanish tutor. She is going to come two times a week and help me with my Spanish. She is young and energetic, and the best part is, she talks slowly to me! She works as a translator and an English teacher. Evangelica is her name. She came Wednesday for the first time and it went great. She came back on Friday and after a busy couple of days I really had difficulty concentrating. Eight-thirty at night is not a good time for me to try to conjugate verbs. To be or not to be had my head spinning. Estoy consada. How did my kids do homework after a full day? I should have been more understanding. Maybe I am getting my payback! She even left me with homework.

Thursday night my neighbors told me about an event at the inter-cultural/language center and invited me to go with them. It was a type of social that the center put on that focused on different foods from various countries. It seemed that everyone that takes language classes participated. There were all these different booths that cooked a dish that represented a specific country, or region or state. There was everything from BBQ goat (pictured above) from Argentina to Texas chili. Brazil had a booth as well as Scotland and Egypt. People were dressed up and it felt very festive. I helped out Pepe, who BBQ'd the goat, serving the food at his booth. I had a good time. It was difficult to get up in the morning. Things don't start at night until around ten so I was home fairly late. With that and a busy day at work it was no wonder that I had difficulty with a late night Spanish lesson. One more day of work then a day of rest again.
Estoy muy consada.

Buenas noches.

4 comments:

jtanoota said...

Hey Beth...don't work yourself to exhaustion. I worry about you, yet thoroughly enjoy reading your blog entries. Miss you too! ~ Judy

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,
Just catching up on your site. It looks like an incredible experience. working there without a full command of the language must be doubly challenging. looking forward to seeing you when you come home..

Ginna Traina said...

Hang in there sweetheart. We miss and love you.
tiene bueno noches.

ginna

Anonymous said...

Beth,

What a feast of experiences you are having. Enjoy every minute.

I love the pictures you include. Stick in a photo of yourself soon.

We miss you and love you.

Judy B