Saturday, October 11, 2008

Matambre a la Pizza at La Escondida





I have not written much about the Bed and Breakfast I am staying at that I now consider home. It is quite comfortable and with various guests coming and
going I get the opportunity to meet some interesting people from all over. I also have the pleasure of Nancy and Emma taking care of my room, (fresh floweres by my bed) and taking care of my laundry (what a treat!) and trying to help me with my Spanish. They have been so great to me.






Juan is the host here and it turns out he is also a chef. I think he has just a few more courses before he officially completes his training.
Tonight he had some guest that were friends of his and he cooked an asada of Matambre a la Pizza.
When I returned from work today I joined him and his friends while they went to the local Supermarket to shop for dinner.
That was quite and experience. When we finished at there, we went to a local butcher to buy the matambre, which is a cut of meat that I have never seen before. It is basically a very thin strip of meat from the side/ rib section of the beef closer to the belly. Juan told me to only buy the side that the cow doesn’t sleep on. (He was joking) When he asked the butcher for the cut he wanted, the butcher turned behind him and opened up the cold storage where a side of beef was hanging and in a full swipe of a knife, we had our matambre.
We returned home around 8 and began to prepare.
I have found this dish to be a very popular here.

First you take the slab of beef which has a thin layer of fat on one side and sear it over the fire. They use wood here, and depending on what you are cooking the wood changes. For this you want a slow burning wood. Hot and with your coals pushed to the side.
After you sear the fat, turn the slab of beef over and coat with a layer of tomato sauce seasoned with thyme and oregano, salt and pepper.
Completely cover the beef with mozzarella, blue and provolone cheese.
Slow cook this over indirect heat for about a half an hour or so until the cheese is nice and melted, and the fat has melted into the meat and the fireside meat has a nice crust on it.
Do I need to say more?
Muy ricco.
The bread was cooked over the wood fire and the meal was served was just an assortment of different greens dressed with oil and vinegar.

Thanks Juan!
Buenas noches

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, its matambre in the style of pizza! intriguing.

Glad you are being pampered with flowers and laundresses and cinderellas.

Saw your book in the picture with the flowers. It made me feel our connection. We are going to spend the next two weeks on Moment 5. Enjoy!

Blessings,
Judy B

Unknown said...

Hello Beth,

Just a friendly reminder, if you can send us your famous risotto recipe from Ruca Malen, that would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Rohan

Ginna Traina said...

Lord...I'm hungry...