Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Solo with Sole and Melipal

I felt re - freshed and ready to go on Monday. Soledad and I were the only ones in the kitchen. At first I was a bit worried but as the day unfolded we fell into a nice rhythm and ended up pulling off 40 lunches with no problema.
Except with only two of us, the dished really backed up! It was great to be able to cook all the risotto for the first course. I enjoyed the rush. It was a nice pace and I was also responsible for the appetizers.
It was easier for me to follow what table was what when I did all the pre-courses. When I did just the risotto without the appetizers, I would get lost on what tables were what. Especially if there was no ticket! They have a funny system in the kitchen and it’s hard to follow. If we had just one extra person doing the dishes we would of be on top of everything!
We also did not have much time to mise for the next day so I knew that the next day was going to be a big prep day.
Tuesday I started to set up my station and Pablo told me I was to go to Melipal to work. It seemed that there was some dispute going on as to where I was needed the most today and then I was off to the Melipal winery to cook with Ferd - inand.
Melipal was the Winery where I toured last year and first met Lucas. The winery had just opened and he had given our group a cooking class in an outdoor asada area next to the vineyards because the kitchen was not finished yet. I have fond memories of Melipal seeing how our group was the winery’s first visitors.
The kitchen was small, compact and organized - the dining room small and quaint. It seats maybe around twenty-five people at most. The menu is a little more sophisticated and the plate presentation has a bit of a flare to it compared to Ruca.
Ferdinando is young but a good cook with an attention to detail. It was just the two of us today with around ten lunches. It is very relaxed and a less intense pace than Ruca Malen. I enjoyed working here very much. I am scheduled to be here the last two weeks of my stay.
After today I am really looking forward to being back here. It is so beautiful and such a refined and relaxed atmosphere.
Buenas noches

7 comments:

thepinkspoon said...

Wow Mom, this looks great! I remember when we cooked there! I'm so glad you are having fun. Love you!

Disrupter said...

Beth,

We recently visited Ruca Malen and were blown away by the food. We were there around Sept 25th and ironically its quite likely you were there at the same time. I would be very grateful if you can send me the risotto recipe, it was divine ..

Bethina425 said...

rohan,
So glad you had such a wonderful experience at Ruca Malen.
Yes, it is likely that I made your risotto...

Please let me know your email and I will send you the recipe.
Where were you visiting from?

Bethina425 said...

I miss you too! We we have to make empanada when I get home. Just like we did at Melipal.

Ginna Traina said...

I'LL COME DO THE DISHES...LET ME KNOW WHAT FLIGHT I SHOULD BOOK:)

Disrupter said...

Hello Beth,

Its ironic how we were at Ruca Malen at the same time and even more ironic is how I found your blog while looking for the risotto recipe. Sounds like you have chosen well in gaining culinary insights in Argentina. My wife and I, visiting from New York city were in Argentina for two weeks. While we were looking forward to the beef, every course at Ruca Malen blew us away. My wife loves to cook different cuisines and if I can surprise her with the risotto recipe that would be great. If you can share the recipes of the other 2 appetizers and empanadas as well, I wouldn't hold that against you :)

Hope you enjoy Mendoza as much as we did. My email address is rohangt@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

Love, love, love your photos and stories. Argentina is beautiful - I had no idea! We miss you at SFG and pray for you always. We're processing Moment #4 for another week, and looking forward to when you'll be back with us. For now enjoy cooking in Argentina!
- Suzanne