Thursday, October 30, 2008

Azafran

I found myself a bit nervous as I walked into Azafran on my first day of work. I was quickly put to ease by the Executive Chef Pablo Ranea (not pictured with staff below) and everyone else that was working in the kitchen - as well the rest of the restaurant's employees. This kitchen was quite different from the ones I had been working in out at the bodegas. It was much more sophisticated and spacious. It felt very organized and efficient and I jumped right in and began prepping the amuse-bouché for that day's service. This appetizer consisted of a little seared baby mushroom, stuffed with brie, roasted slightly then garnished with blueberry and a blueberry/wine reduction.
I really enjoyed preparing the complete dish as well as plating it.


I really appreciated that even though Chef Pablo kept me busy with various things to prep he was constantly aware of me in the kitchen and always called me over to the different stations to show me plating’s or techniques or some aspect of how they did things here. It was really a learning experience for me. I wished I could have worked there longer. I realized the importance of how valuable working under one chef for a period of time could be. I just had a taste of what I could have learned.
Pictured above is an assortment of cured meats and cheese that are served as a first course. A very typical appetizer, served of course with an assortments of freshly baked breads.
A another "entrada" or first course is a trio of empanadas. Each one has a different filling and is paired with an appropriate wine.
The sweetbread filled empanada is served with a torrentes. The chorizo - with a malbec, and the blood sausage is paired with a tempranillo.
Pablo brought me the chorizo one with a little glass of malbec to taste. It was delicious.
I kept pretty busy so did not get a chance to capture pictures of all the various entree’s, but I know I will return here for dinner with Virginia tour where I plan to get a pictorial of our dinner and give details of all the dishes on the menu.
Before I finished my first day, Pablo had me make a big batch of the Parmesan pudding I had made for my final. He said he liked the idea of it for the next night's amuse-bouche. I was a little nervous getting the conversions right with my recipe. I left before it was finished cooking so I had to worry all night about if it was going to turn out.
I was happy to find out the next morning that it set just fine. Pablo really liked it and so I went to work at cutting out little rounds of the pudding and prepping them for that night’s service. I roasted some cherry tomatoes and placed one on top of each little pudding. Pablo was going to finish them off with a little balsamic reduction. I felt pretty honored to be making my recipe. I was just sorry that I would not be there in the evening to see the finished product.
I also made the pasta dough (made with Swiss chard) and formed the sorrentinos that are like a round ravioli pillow filled with potato.
My days went quickly here at Azafran. Like I said, I could have stayed here for months.
With my hours completed, I was ready to take a break and go on some day trips to see more of the area before I had to head back to BA and meet Virginia. I was ready to be a lady of leisure for a few days.
Buenas Noches

2 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

I remember having a fantastic meal there.
Bring back all of the recipes....oh that's right...they don't do recipes!
xo

The Cooking Photographer said...

What an wonderful time in your life. How fun! This will be me in about 10 years I hope.

Laura