Thursday, February 28, 2008

Essentail Skills 3 - Veal

After having Chef Peter as an instructor for two days, I wised up an began my day with a double espresso before I left for school, and a coffee for the road. I needed a little caffeine to keep up with him.
He began by getting veal shanks prepared and in the oven for Osso Bucco. A rustic Italian dish created by braising veal shanks in wine, stock, and vegetables. This is traditionally served with a risotto Milanese. The braising process was basically the same as the previous days recipes - just a different cut of meat.
He then fabricated some medallions from a veal loin, pounded, floured and seasoned them and in a blink of an eye put together, a Veal Piccata and a Veal Marsala. He really emphasized speed and technique when making these quick sautes and a pan sauces. If you dilly dally and waste to much time checking your recipes or cook your sauce to long you won't get good results. A pan sauce is quick. Brown your meat, take it out, add your alcohol, reduce and finish, add the meat back in to warm and plate immediately.

In the case of the piccata, the medallions were browned very lightly. White wine was used for the alcohol and the sauce was finished with butter, lemon juice and a touch of cream. Almost like a beurre blanc. The veal for the Marsala was browned more deeply. Mushrooms were sauteed before the sauce was finished with, of course Marsala, then some stock.
A little trick I learned was to always "refortify" your dish with the flavoring used before serving. So in this case he splashed a bit of Marsala in the finished dish to really pick up the flavor in the sauce.I have a new partner now. His name is Glenn (the soup winner of our first final). We did fairly well with putting together our recipes. A little slow with the pan sauces so our first sauce got a bit too thick. Glenn, if your out there, we need to pick it up - no more "Beer -Pong" on school nights!"


Thank you Andrew for browning up all are lamb shanks for tomorrow. Isn't he cute?
(Chef Peter calls him one of the "wake and bakes.")

It's been a fun few days with Chef Peter. He is teaching a Hobby class this weekend; "Smart and Simple Dinner Party" and asked me if I wanted to come and help at his class. I jumped at the chance.



Goodnight.

4 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

Who is the HOTTIE??????? I think Andrew wants to cook for me.....Oh yeh, the food looks good too.
Now, is he the one that bumped in to you and messed up your soup presentation? 'Cause I'll take him down.
We'll if nothing else, I'll take what ever he's cooking.
Ginna\xxo

PS I noticed he has no ink running down his sleeve pocket. He must be really professional:)

Annabo said...

Chef peter, ooh la la. All of these pictures you posted look amazing, I can't wait to try those lamb shanks. Did you ever get the ink out of your sleeve? Ha.

Bethina425 said...

Easy Traina girls.. I know Andrew and Chef Peter are "lookers" but you need to check out their cooking skills. Chef has a few years om Andrew, You two might want to consider switching...or not.

andrew said...

ill you up something good... hahah