Friday, February 22, 2008

Essential Skills 2 - Spaetzle and Orzo


This morning started with my third written final. I am a pro at test taking now. I still read the chapters twice, and fill out my workbook, but I don't spend the day before at Pete's re-reading the text and stressing out. My husband says I'm settling in.

The test went quickly and we moved right into making spaetzle. In Austria, Germany and Switzerland, spaetzle is a traditional accompaniment to roasted meats and game stews.


Like a small dumpling, these was very interesting to make. You pour the sticky batter (water, flour,egg and salt) into the grater like spaetzle maker and press it through with a plastic pastry spatula. Little droplets of batter fall through into simmering water and cook to form tiny dumplings. They float to the surface when done. We shocked them and then dried them a bit before sauteing them in butter and glace de viande.

We also made some orzo pasta with creamed leeks and Parmesan cheese. Another comfort food.
Quite easy to
put together, you just boil up orzo, which is a small oval shaped pasta. While that is cooking, saute your sliced leeks in a little butter then cook them until tender in chicken stock. Add some cream. Reduce down a bit, then mix in the Parmesan cheese.
A great side dish.

We are preparing 7 recipes for the final on Monday and were able to start gathering some supplies and begin our mise en place.

I know what I will be doing this weekend. I think my husband is pretty tired of pasta and potatoes but I do need to practice. Even Jim is starting to get full.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Ginna Traina said...

Forget Jim! I'm not getting full! I loved your Spaetzle.
I'm looking forward to the next meal.
Keep on cookin' honey...