Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Essential Skills 3 - Beef

We began our morning with short ribs. Our
method of cooking was braising so we had to get
them browned and in the oven first thing. A good braise, whether it is short ribs, a lamb shank, or a old fashioned pot roast is one of my favorite meals to cook and eat. A dish with tender flavorful meat, a sauce that only gets better as it cooks and goes well with any starches, or simply served, as my Grandfather liked it - with just some good home made bread and butter.

Chef Peter then demoed his way through Hungarian Goulash, a basic a stew, and Swiss Steak, which is a braised bottom round. Each dish has it's own unique seasoning, but by the end of class everything was beginning to taste the same.

I grew up up with having Pot Roast once a week. Three different recipes in the same morning was a little much.

I left class craving fruit so I stopped at my local produce market and went crazy. I made a huge assorted fruit plate that night for dinner.

It's all about balance.
Goodnight.

No comments: