Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Essentail Skills 3 - Beef


Let the carnage begin.
The only thing getting rest in this class is the meat!
As I mentioned before, Chef Parker went out of town to judge a food contest in Las Vegas so we had Chef Peter to break us in to Meat Cookery.
He moves fast and throws information at you in a constant stream all while he prepares a perfectly cooked steak with some wonderful pan sauce and by the time he finishes plating you wonder - "How did that all just happen?"
I loved the way he abandoned the recipes and improvised and challenged us to do the same. I felt a little lost without my recipe cards and measuring spoons but it was a push I needed.
We changed partners around and worked in teams. After cleaning and portioning out a whole tenderloin and strip loin, and learning to prep Foie gras, we went to work. I used my big scimitar for the first time and felt like Crocodile Dundee. I loved it.
We stared off by making pepper steak using a New York that we portioned from the Strip Loin. We seared the pepper encrusted steak in the pan then finished it off in the oven. While the steak was resting we created a sauce in the pan, much more methodical than Chef Peter, but just as tasty. Peppercorns, Cognac cream and butter. How can you go wrong? Our steak was perfect.. I have to give Dennis all the credit though. Good job partner!
Next we put together a Stroganoff with leftover tips from the tenderloin.
Almost a stir-fry with this cut of meat, it went fairly quickly as we seared the meat, sauteed onions , added mushrooms , demi-glace, cream and sour cream with our seasoningsgs. A nice dish served over egg noodles. Our last dish was Tournedos Rossini. A classic dish that consists of a tournedos of beef (fillet Mignon), served on a crouton and topped with pan seared Fois gras, engulfed in a Truffled Madeira sauce.
Our fillet was a little rare, but everything else was on the money. I am really enjoying making these pan sauces. It makes me want to never be without a good veal stock in my freezer.

How can anyone be a vegan?

Goodnight

No comments: