Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Essential Skills 2 - Vegetables, Baked and Roasted



Though I love them dearly, all the freshly steamed, blanched, and grilled vegetables I'd been making, were beginning to make me feel a bit too healthy.
I was happy to see a baked garlic custard and a frittatini on the class syllabus. This girl cannot live on vegetables alone! I don't know how Jeremy does it or what he's going to do when we move into meats.

The Garlic Timbales were first. The garlic was first blanched a bit to take out the "bite" and also to softened the cloves. I blended it with cream until smooth then added the eggs and seasoning - white pepper and "thyme tea." I poured the mixture into the little Timbales molds and then baked them in a water bath. Served with carmalized onions in a glace de viande. It melted in your mouth with the creamy taste of garlic.
Practicing my knife cuts , I prepared the squash in two different sized dices and one in a disc shaped, scored. Which I thought was quite nice. It will be my new vegetable presentation until my family tires of it and tell me to stop. The squash was baked with a little brown sugar and cardamom glaze, and a few other ingredients that I will reveal only to my faithful commenters.

The frittitaini was just a mini version of a frittata (baked omelet) . It looked much cuter than a frittata and was fun to plate and garnish. This is one of the items that I will have to make for my next final. Are you ready Jim and Ginna for some frittatini tastings? Judy, are you in too?

The baked corn was like a Corn con Queso. Roasted corn in a spicy chipotle sauce then baked with cheese. I can't wait until summer when I can make this with fresh corn in season.
Goodnight.

2 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

global.netJeepers...What's a woman gotta do to get a meal around here? Serve it up sweetstuff. I'm ready and waiting.....

Bethina425 said...

Ginna, I think you spend more time in my kitchen these days than yours. I'll serve you up all right.