Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Essential Skills 2 - Potatoes, Grains

Comfortably back in my kitchen with my partner Laurie we continued with potato recipes and attempted our first grain recipe - Quinoa. (keen-wa). Quinoa is an interesting grain, which was a common food of the Incas. Although not botanically a true grain, it's tiny seeds are treated as such. Gluten free and increasing in popularity these days it is marketed as the world's "super grain" because the seeds form a complete protein and contain important vitamins and minerals as well as carbohydrates and fats. (Yes, I'm a nerd who actually reads the text book.) It is basically cooked similar to rice. Sautéed then allowed to steam.

The next recipe was Duchesse Potatoes. These were so fun to make. It is basically a mashed potato with some eggs and then piped into a conical shape. These are traditionally served with chateaubriand or used for a buffet.
We will have to make these for our next practical test on Monday. Mine were not the most uniform shapes so, once again, I had the Traina's over for dinner to practice and once again, I forgot to heat their plates! They are tough.

The next recipe was Roesti Potatoes, which was a type of Potato pie, hash brown style, stuffed with caramelized onions and fried stove top. We all practiced out flipping technique. Plate on top, flip pan and plate over, slide pie back into pan. I didn’t hear any plate shattering.




Finally we made some potato pancakes that were absolutely delicious. I have a good friend named Virginia, (are you out there) who in my mind makes the best potato pancakes ever. (Actually, everything she makes is the best)



Her recipe was passed down to her from her Lithuanian Grandma. I think the ones I made today might hold a candle to hers. Maybe. We just might have to have a pancake cook off!!

Goodnight.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Hi Beth,
Mom and I are keeping up with your nightly blogs. By the time you finish I will have a copy of your daily challenges to becoming the first professional chef in the family! By the way, Mom said your banquet is coming up soon, so please reserve a spot for the both of us. Keep up the good work.

Dad

Ginna Traina said...

Okay....Reserve a spot for JImmy Alan and me.
The potatoes were fantastic. I can't wait to see what I get to eat next...on a heated plate of course.
Good luck on your final Monday. Don't forget to let chef know I helped with the napkin design..
xxoo

Bethina425 said...

Thanks Dad.
Of course you and Mom are in for the Banquet.