Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Essential Skills 2 - Grains and Pasta


It took me awhile to assemble this Polenta Napoleon. There were so many components. First we cut the polenta that we made the day before and had left to chill overnight into circles, and grilled it, along with a portabello mushroom, a roasted red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash and asparagus. Then it was like making a lasagna. One layer at a time. Served on top of a red pepper coulis and some reduced balsamic vinegar. I ended up with a nice little tower.





We also made a classic rice pilaf and Risotto Milanese, which is a risotto made with a saffron infused broth, and of course, Parmesan cheese. I have been making risotto for years. When I made it today, I kind of fell apart. I completely over-caramelized my onions and then added way too much wine. A recipe rescaling error again and a flame problem on my burner. Am I making excuses or should I really start questioning my math skills?

We finished by putting together a pasta dough by hand that will be used in the morning.
Pasta for breakfast. Yum.
Goodnight.

6 comments:

thepinkspoon said...

Mom, Virginia and I are sitting in her kitchen looking at this. It's gorgeous!!! Keep up the blogging.

Virginia Taylor said...

Hey Beth, I think I finally logged on so I will now be able to comment!! LOVE the pictures!

xo

Ginna Traina said...

Lets be clear on one thing...The Traina's will always be the first to taste her great meals...so I invite you all to get in line.
Now...where were we....What will we be eating next?
I'll provide the hot plates.
I'm encouraging Beth to take another year of school so we can benefit....(And of course she will too)
we love her...

Bethina425 said...

Virginia,
I am so happy that you finally were able to log on!! Wining and dining my editor??

Bethina425 said...

Ryan,
Come home. Beau and I miss you.

Bethina425 said...

Ginna and Jim,
I hope you enjoyed the pot roast. The butcher's son will be happy as I enter in to this next class on Meats.