Thursday, February 14, 2008

Essential Skills 2 - Vegetables, Deep Fried and Fried



After today, my worrying about too much healthy eating shifted to a concern for my arteries. A fleeting concern, thank goodness, that vanished from my mind as soon as I tasted a beer battered onion-ring fresh from the fryer. A crisp golden exterior, perfecttly salted with the soft sweet onion consealed in the center. Nice and moist with no greasy flavor.


I know I sound like Florence Henderson in a Wesson oil commercial but it really was that good!

It also helped that we had a commercial deep fryer that kept the oil at a perfect temperature



Another crucial Mise en Place day. When deep frying, you especially need all your vegetables blanched, and ready to go. We made an Asian style dipping sauce for the tempura vegetables, and the different batters were all made and kept in an icebath to stay cold. ( I learned that having your batter ice cold is one of the most important factors to deep frying) You want a reaction when the food hits the oil. ) And finally our breading station was set up. Chef made it all look so easy when he demonstrated.


We were not as smooth at the deep frying when set loose in the kitchen.
My tempura and eggplant was great - my Chile Relleno - I threw away, though I was blow tourch queen at blackening the skins and prepping the chilis.





It was not as easy as Chef made it look. I will be practicing deep frying this weekend.


"The only way to learn to cook is to cook."
Alice B. Toklas (1877-1967)
American writer


Goodnight




No comments: