Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ruca Malen

The past few days I been working at Ruca Malen. I wake up around seven, get ready for work, have breakfast then walk downtown to the main Plaza de Independencia to get picked up by nine. It is about a fifteen minute walk. The van, stopping at a few more locations to pick up other employee outside the central district also makes stops at the butcher shop to pick up the meat, then market, then heads out to the winery. We arrive around 10 and began prepping for the days lunches. We switch off on who preps what. I feel like I am falling in to somewhat of a routine.

The menu is prefixed and changes seasonally. I thought I would get tired of the same menu but with the language barrier it is bettter for me. Pablo is the head chef (above)and he speaks a tiny bit of english. He is very easy to work with. It is usually Pablo, Soledad, Martias and myself.


The menu begins with little rolls of carmalized onions that have been baked, served with a bit of fresh herbed cheese and a tiny bit of gremolata. This is paired with a Yauquen Chardonnay (07) to highlight the citrus and fruits in the wine.
Next are some roasted pumpkin croquettes that are served with a Malbec "jam" which is made from the malbec leaves that have been left behind in the tank. This sediment is mixed with a purre of prunes and onion and wild thyme to create this topping for the croquettes. It is really quite delicious.
The pumkin and the sediment are to bring out the fresh fruit and sweetness in the Malbec. (Yauquen Malbec) 07
The third course is a carrot and sun-dried tomato rissota. Served with a Merlot, this dish is garninshed with a fig pesto to enhance the wine's fruit and evolution.
The entre, of course is steak. After all this is Argentina. It is served with a sweet potato purree and a stir-fry style ratatouille. The sauce for the Bife de chorizo is made from potato, onions rosemary and a little cream. Very nice and not too rich. Interesting that they use potato to thicken the sauce.


After a busy weekend I feel like I am starting to get the swing of things.


Sunday, a chef named Sergio was there instead of Soledad. He was about my age. Just one year in culinary school and was very nice to work with. He really helped me with my Spanish. He would correct my pronuciation and when I would try to request something in Spanish he would correct me and have my repeat it. I really enjoyed working with him and the day went very smoothly. He only works two days a week, one of which I am off, so I won't work with him much.
I am pretty much responsible for plating the first two couses then the dessert. I do ok but when it gets really busy. I loose track of the orders. That's when I wish I understoood Spanish and could understand their system for the tickets.

Monday, Pablo was not there. It seemed that it was going to be just Soledad, Matias and myself. I was a bit uneasy about that. There were reservations for forty and the owner was there for a buisness lunch with some visitors from France. They were tasting the wines that had been stored in different barrels. Lucas showed up after about an hour and put me at ease (pictured right) It's nice when he is there.

There is definatley a different energy when he is in the kitchen.


I think I 'm getting a little quicker each day with the plating.








On my way home I met my neighbors who are American. They are a couple (the wife is back in the states with another son presently so I didn't meet her) who run a home for young boys who did not thrive in the mainstream American schools. The couple is from Idaho and they have five boys from different parts of the US that live in the home. Some are finishing up their education but the main focus is music. They invited me for dinner with them this week! The boys take turns cooking. I am excited to go and meet all of them and hear their stories.


I'm starting to have a social life..

Buenas noches,

3 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

Roasted pumpkin croquettes! Yummmm......
Sounds delicious....
Hope you are learning the language Senora...
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,

The blog looks great. Nice pictures and it provides a very good feel for what your day is like.

love you,

Eric

Anonymous said...

I remember Luca. he was a cutie. I love that you live in the cute village. The blog is so fun to read and I am remeniscing about all the wonderful food we ate in Argentina.
Keep up the good work.
xoxo M