Friday, September 19, 2008

My First Day of Work

I had underestimated how hard it was going to be to say goodbye to Eric. He dropped me off at La Tupina on his way back to Mendoza to catch his flight for home. I posed for this shot before I went in and felt like one of my kids getting their picture taken in front of their class on the first day of school.
We were greeted by Erica, the hostess of the Bistro. She spoke English very well and introduced us to the staff.
Eric nosed around for a little bit taking some pictures - then the moment of truth.

I walked him out to the car and tried to fight back the tears that were welling up. (Now I really felt like a kid on their first day at school!) We made it short and sweet, he told me to be brave and that two months will fly by.

Everyone was great. They were young, fun and curious about why I was here.
Paco runs the kitchen. (last picture) Martin is the chef under him. Micaela is a prep chef (pictured left with Martin) and Adriana keeps the kitchen clean. Last but not least is Federico, the handsome waiter.
The bistro is very small with a rustic efficient kitchen that has a separate area to teach classes and cook in an open hearth. It is still the off season so they have very few visitors. On this first day we served only three lunches. It’s kind of crazy all this staff for one party, but that’s how it works here. It will get busy in the next month or so.
I was amazed at what wonderful food a small rustic kitchen can put out. Many of the items were pre-prepped already for the week and just had to be assembled. I will get to be a part of that in the days to come.
I felt very comfortable and Micaela was great at keeping me busy.
There is to be a large event at the Winery on Saturday (Sabado) so we made all the dough and prepped the filling for empanadas today. There will be around 150 people at the event with 50 people staying for lunch, so even though there are few reservations today and tomorrow, there is much to do.
Lunch here is not the 12:00 -1:00pm quick bite that is in the states.
It is a leisurely event.
The three people who came today arrived at 1:00 and stayed until almost 4:00.

They were served about six or seven different tapas (I lost track) while they sat outside and enjoyed the sunshine and wine. The few I saw and watched being plated and served were two types of crostini, one with melted cheese, and one with roasted eggplant pate, pork croquettes, squash and parmesan custard that were baked and served in the shell.
Then they came inside and had a plated first coursewhich was a vegetarian egg crepe lasagna, then the main course of a “la tupina” (caldron of beef cooked over an open fire) served with roasted potatoes. I’m not sure what the desert was - some type of cake in syrup served with two different sorbets, one a strawberry and malbec wine flavor and the other a pear and thyme.
Quite a feast.


The day went by quickly. Emiliano picked me up and brought me back to the posada.
He will be my driver for the next couple of weeks. He was a mountain guide who used to take people on tours up to the Aconcagua and is now a care taker of the Altus finca (estate), which is about 10,000 acres. The owner is an oil baron that comes around every so often.
When I get in Emiliano’s car to drive back to the posada it is reminiscent of the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. I told him that and he smiled and went even faster.

Buenas noches,
Beth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds great. i remember sitting outside and eating the tapas. What a wonderful spot. It will fly back. Keep up the good work.
Love,
Minda

jtanoota said...

You made me feel like I was right there with you Beth.