Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Heading to the Valle de Uco



I made contact with Guillermo, and he set up a meeting for chef Lucas and myself to meet and talk over the arrangements of my stay. I had only met them once before so I sat nervously in the hotel lobby scrutinizing every person who came through the door. I recognized them both immediately and we sat down over coffee to talk about what and where I was going to be. Let me tell you that these two were so nice and gracious and accondomdating that I was immediately set to ease. The more we talked and I learned about the restaurants that they have and what they were doing the more excited I became. My Posada


Mendoza is to Argentina as Napa is to California. With a growing wine industry that attracts visitors who want good food, Lucas and Guillermo have created liaisons with some of the wineries in the area to accommodate a dining experience to be included with the tastings.


(My first visit to a Mendoza winery was to winery called Ruca Malen. Our group had a five course lunch, each course paired to enhance one of their wines. Lucas was the executive chef here. )
He explained to me that he works out of various bodegas that all differ in style and food and that he would like to give me an experience of all of them. He would start me at one of the smaller restaurants and then have me finish my time in a restaurant he was opening in Mendoza City. I was pinching myself to make sure I was wasn't dreaming. He gave us instructions to the first place I was to go, and that was that. I had his his number if I was to need anything and that someone was there that knew I was coming. It was a posada still under construction in the Valle de Uco 7 km up the road from the restaurant I that would be working at. This restaurant is called La Tupina and resides outside of Tupungato and is part of the Altus Winery. I had actually eaten here on my last visit so I new what to expect.

So I thought.

After a visit to the Achaval -Ferrer (unbeleivable wines) we finally navigatied our way to the Altus Winery. Finding the posasda was a different story. Thank goodness Lucas found us on the road (dirt) and we followed him in. He had come looking for us because we were so late in arriving.
My Grandparents had retired in Midas, Nevada, which is about 60 mile (40 of them dirt) east of Winnemucca and literally in the middle of anywhere. Over the years, I have travelled that Midas road many times and now, eventhough dormant vineyards surround me on both sides and the Andes loom in front of me, as drive out this dirt road with the dust and gravel, the ramshackle houses, and poplar lines roads I am comforted by familiarity.
The farther we drove the more nervous we began to feel. This was out here a ways. We were not sure what to expect as we strained to get a glimpse of some distant building, in hopes it would be our desstination.

We finally arrived at the posada. (first picture) It was beautiful. Quaint and rustic this 100 year old building was still a project in the works. Four of the rooms were finished but still much work needed to be done before it's opening in October.
Lucas showed us around, gave us some keys to the main lodge, and told us to call Emilio the care taker, if we needed anything. Emilio lived in the owners house up the road a bit.
Then he left.

We unloaded the car. then decided that we best get back into town for dinner and supplies before it got dark. Eric wanted to make sure he could find it again! On the way back into town Eric talked about trying to stay for a few more days. he was a bi tnervous about how remote it was and that I would have no transportation. I was praying he would stay.

We had a nice dinner in town, navigated back no problema then slept like babies.

Everything always feels better in the morning and this was the case. What better greeting than the Andes? We went grocery shopping then visited a nearby winery and had lunch, making the most of our last day together. Eric spent the evening packing to go back home and I readied myself for my first day of work.



We both knew it was going to be okay. At least that's what we told each other.

Besos,
Beth

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! You are brave. I so admire you. Keep it up. I just read the book "Julia and Julie". That could be you. Write a book after this experience. It will be read!!!
LOVE<
Minds

Anonymous said...

Beth,

Great photo of your the posada.

I can't wait to hear how the first two days went.
After dropping you off on Wed. I realized that (after travelling for 30 hours) you will have finished two days at work by the time I got home.

Love you,

Eric

jtanoota said...

Sounds like you are going to be busy! Enjoy every moment. It's going to a journey you will never forget. I'll log onto Skype as often as possible in hopes of catching you online.

Judy