Friday, September 19, 2008

Working at La Tupunia

Thursday was spent making empanadas for the party on Saturday. Micaela and I made about two hundred of them. We rolled the dough out with a pasta machine then cut and rolled. It was fun. With music, singing and laughter and practicing our language skills on each other – I think we bonded. We finished around two o’clock then played poker with beans until four. There are certain things that you do not need language for. Math is one and poker is another.

Today (Friday) was another story. Lucas came for the day and all of sudden the kitchen got serious. He came to teach a class to a couple that was visiting from Indiana. I helped Martin mise en place for Lucas. A word we both understand! I helped Martin quite a lot today and even plated a couple of tapas. When the class ended, the couple had a full course lunch.
After serving lunch to the guests, we spent until six in the evening getting ready for tomorrows party. It is interesting how now matter what language you speak, when you understand the menu and quantity of what you need to prepare, you just know what to do.
I prepped for carbonada, a traditional Argentinean stew. I made the eggplant pate which we will serve as an appetizer. We also made little rolls that we will make sandwiches with for snacks at the winery event.
It was really quite a busy day. I was tired as was everyone.
One thing that I am really coming to enjoy is the Matte. A type of herbal tea.
About every half hour, someone makes a little cup and brings it to you with a metal straw. You stop and drink the whole thing then more hot water is added and it is passed on to the next person.
It’s only been three days and I really feel like I am part of the kitchen.
Tomorrow is a big day. Lucas told me that I will be in charge of tapas and deserts.
I helped Martin with the flan while Paco made the bread pudding.
From three lunches to 40. This will be interesting.
Buenas noches,
Beth

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll try write you in english... I'm very happy for you.

Welcome to Argentina, and remember: wine, food and tango!

Bueno, che. Se me terminó el inglés. Te deseo la mejor experiencia, o una de las mejores, de tu vida, y que se te cumplan todos tus deseos. Besos!!!

jtanoota said...

wow, less than one week and already being given responsibilities. That just shows they are confident in your skills. But we already knew that now didn't we....you are amazing Beth!

Bethina425 said...

me gustaria saber quien sos? y gracias por tu comentario.
besos y suerte para vos.
Bethina425