Monday, September 22, 2008

Festival de Tango los Camino del Vino

Lucas picked me up at eight-thirty this morning. I had my first solo last night because Emiliano had to go in to Mendoza.
There is a security guard who comes around on a moter cycle every now and then and he stopped by to check on me. We talked for a few minutes and didn’t understand a thing that each of us was saying but it was ok. I know he said something about” looking after, or looking around” and I said thank you and felt safe.
The kitchen was busy this morning. Three of us worked on assembling the sandwiches (about 300 of them) and a crew came in to ready the restaurant. Everyone was working.

Swarms of people arrived at the winery and the Tango show began. I was able to watch the whole show then helped serve the sandwiches to the masses. What took us hours to assemble was inhaled in 20 minutes. I then ran back across to La Tupina to try and help Martin with lunch. It was crazy. There was a trio of spreads for the breadsticks that everyone got, as well as empanadas. There was a choice of three principales.
Pastel de choclo con castra de queso fundido (a baked corn and meat pie)
Tradicional carbonada (a classic stew of meat, sweet potatoes, potatoes and corn cooked in cauldron over an open fire
Carne a la olla con papas asadas (Braised beef cooked in a caldron over an open fire.

There were two stations for cooking and plating the food. Paco plated carbonada and beef and Martin (and I) made the potatoes, empanadas, and baked the pastel de choclo con costra de queso fundido.
I was also to get the breadsticks (Lucas made these while we were assembling the sandwiches) ready and the three different little spreads platted.
An herbed cream cheese mixture, the eggplant pate that I made yesterday and an avocado spread that Paco made. Lunch is intense because it happens all at once and I felt at times just in the way. I found my niche a few times then got in the swing of things during dessert.
We finished around five o’clock. I was exhausted. Emiliano brought me home (he helped out all day too) and then took off again for Mendoza for the weekend. I am here alone again and definitely getting a dose of solitude here at the posada.
No complaints.

Buenas Noches.
Beth

No comments: