Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Essential Skills 1 - Pesto


Today was the day. Our class was now reduced (no pun intended) to 16 of us "morning culinary" students. We were all a bit frightened and a bit intimidated by Chef Parker (left).

Now, the proper etiquette in the culinary profession is that you address the Chef as "Chef" or "Chef Parker," a formality that adds to this intimidation. When he asked us questions it was not just "yes," or "no" it was "Yes, Chef. No Chef. Thank you Chef." I noticed that this is how these master chefs address each other also.



But, there is some joking between them which helped eased our nerves. Like when the pastry chef came in to help our chef start a video. He said upon leaving "let me know when you culinaries need to know how to turn on the oven. I'll send someone from Baking and Pastry over." We all laughed and as soon as the door shut Chef said, "Those dough boys, they think they know everything." Chef has cooked more and in more places that I can even imagine. He runs a tight ship in the kitchen, has been around the block a few times and thank goodness has a sense of humor! We watched a short clip about the innovating food from the Spanish Chef Ferran AdriĆ  (I don't think we will be doing these type of dishes for awhile.) Then we got our first Cooking Demo.

Pesto.
Yeah, that's right pesto. From Ferran to pesto.

Damn. I already know how to make Pesto. A week of Food Safety for Pesto??
Well, I thought I knew how to make pesto. I watched this Master Chef take simple ingredients and somehow bring them together in perfect harmony.
No processor. Just a mortar and pestle, fresh garlic and basil, pine nuts, a little cheese, and salt and pepper.

It was as if the famous Fernand Point's words from our reading the night before were coming alive for me. "A bearnaise sauce is simply an egg yolk, a shallot, a little tarragon vinegar, and butter, but it takes years of practice for the result to be perfect."

Chef Parker sauteed up some chicken and before we knew it we were all enjoying some wonderful fettuccine with fresh pesto and sauteed chicken. He told the class he liked to end with having lunch together. I don't think that is going to be a problem.

Goodnight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Beth, It's Alison, Virginia's friend. Your cooking school adventure sounds fun. Thanks for the referral to Paula S. I don't have your email to write to you that way. Mine is: alisonlp@earthlink.net BEST! Alison

Down And Dirty Garden said...

Yeah it is definetly tough to go from Ferran Adria to Pesto, and he did have an amazing way to tourn what we knew was good, to be even better! This blog is great and will definetly bring back memories when the class is over.

Bethina425 said...

Hi Alison. Good to hear from you and thanks for looking at my blog. I hope it's going well with you and Paula, my email address is Bethina425@aol.com. Hope to cook with you at Virginia's soon!

Bethina425 said...

Jeremy,
Thanks for commenting on my blog. Keep coming back I appreciate your feedback!