Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Culinary School Day Two - Serve Safe

Another alarm clock wake up call at 5:45 am. I got out of bed only because I promised myself that I could come straight home and go back to sleep. It's funny how we make deals with ourselves.

Another five hour lecture about food safety. Today, however, we took a small reprieve and each of us had to introduce ourselves to the group, and say where we came from and how we came to be in this class. Everyone has a story and I enjoyed listening to them all. When I had to "share" I managed to only remember my name. I forgot completely where I was from and why I was there. It was early and I'm hoping people were still waking up and didn't notice. I never have liked public speaking.

Half way through our lecture the smells from the kitchen next door began to arouse my senses. It smelled so good! I was hungry and tired of sitting and watching videos on the proper way to wash your hands. (Damn, all these years I've been doing it wrong. In fact after two days of this food safety thing, I'm amazed that after 25 years of cooking for my family that they are still alive!)

Anyways, just when I thought that the instructor would ask me to leave class because my growling stomach was interrupting the video, three students from the kitchen next door came in with plates of Creme Brulee that they had made in class. They brought us the extras!!

Just the incentive I needed to get through the rest of class.

Creme Brulee for breakfast! It was heavenly.
I remembered why I was there.

Goodnight.

No comments: