Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Essential Skills 1 - Allemande and Supreme, Bordelaise and Chasseur


I didn't do so well at scaling down my recipes for today. Between the French pronunciation and now the math, I think I'm in trouble. Where are my kids when I need them!? We have these Master recipes in our book and Chef asks us to scale them down to a 1/4 or 1/8 recipe. We then have to copy them over (more homework) or type them up so that we have the recipe to follow when we cook. We're not allowed to bring our books into the kitchen. (If the recipe has 10 ingredients, that is like 10 math problems for me.) We had four sauces today and thank goodness my partner did a better job converting. I must have been tired last night - I can't believe some of the amounts I got!


We made two white sauces - Allemande and Supreme, and two brown sauces - Bordelaise and Chasseur. Chef checks them, tastes them and lets us know how they are. I did pretty well - a little shy with the salt but I got a few nods. We had BBQ hamburgers for lunch so we could all sample the various sauces. I'm getting sauced out!


Tomorrow we attempt Hollandaise, Béchamel and Tomato. (Dishes are going to be a nightmare.)I best get out my calculator and start my math homework!


Goodnight.

No comments: