Friday, January 25, 2008

Essential Skills 1 - Mire Poix, Knife Cuts andParsley Dust


Everything always seems brighter in the morning and having it be Friday was a double bonus. We practiced more knife cuts. This time I felt a bit more comfortable.

We made a mirepoix (above) for our stock and practiced a few different cuts on some onions and shallots, and minced garlic. We made garlic paste, then attempted a "tourner cut" on some potatoes. (Very difficult-even "the pro" had trouble with this one.)

My biggest thrill of the day, however, was to learn the secret for beautifully minced parsley. (I'm passing this on to my faithful readers! You can thank me later.) After 5 minutes of finely chopping the parsley until it is almost like dust, you place it in a piece of cheese cloth and rinse and squeeze until it runs clear. This takes a bit of rinsing and squeezing. It magically comes out dry and almost like a powder that sprinkles beautifully. I was quite impressed. No getting wet, or clumpy or tasting like wet grass.
We finished up the chicken stock then strained it along with the brown stock and put them all away for sauce making on Monday. I have to say that we are moving right along. Finally, chef deep fried all our practice potatoes, sprinkled some cheese on them and reheated them in the oven. Yum.

After a weekend to catch up on my reading and workbook, practicing with my sword, and letting my brain reel from all this information overload I'll be ready to attack the sauces!
Goodnight.

1 comment:

Kimbo said...

Thanks for the parsley tip Beth! You are going to do great. Remember it will probably be scary at times, but that is when you learn/improve the most...If you ever need to do homework and practice feeding others, I volunteer!
HUGS!
Kim