Thursday, April 24, 2008

Nutrition and Healthy Cuisine - The Final

I am so happy that this unit is over. It has been a intense three weeks and I am so ready for a change. I decided to stay up and watch Top Chef even though I planned to be in the kitchen by 6. I got completely hooked when I found out one of the teams was doing a orange and asparagus salad! That's what I was doing for my salad. (A bit different caliber though.) Well, their salad was not received too well by the judges. Was this an omen? Should I make a last minute recipe change? I almost called my friend Jackie, who is a die hard Top Chef fan for a consult.
"Go to bed" I heard my inner voice of reason say. I listened. Besides I wasn't planning on having my salad become a sexual experience like the Top Chefs did.

Despite all my angst, the final went well. I was pleased with my Asparagus and Orange salad which was very well received by Chef.
I blanched the asparagus then chilled them in the dressing until they were nice and cold. The dressing consisted of reduced orange juice, thickened with an arrow root slurry, a mixture of balsamic and sherry wine vinegar, shallots and just a little olive oil.
I had to watch those calories!
It was refreshing and flavorful.

My main course was a simple saute of chicken scallops with sauteed mushrooms and a wine, shallot and stock reduction. I would have liked just a little butter in there but with a rich chicken stock and a splash of lemon, the flavor was great. Very clean. I attempted to tourne ( a cut that makes a seven equal sided football shape) new potatoes. They looked pretty darn good until I sauteed them in the glace de volaille and they lost their sharp edges. Oh well live and learn. Chef liked my flavors, appreciated my attempt at tourneing a potato and loved my salad.
I kept the calorie count at just over 500. (If Ryan's calculations are correct.)

Tomorrow we say good bye to Chef Parker for a couple weeks and began our unit in Baking and Pastry with Chef Thomas.
I'm so excited...in just a few short weeks I'll be a pastry angel! I hope.

Goodnight

5 comments:

thepinkspoon said...

The Asparagus and Orange salad was truly delicious. I had the opportunity to taste it twice. Do I see a Top Chef in the family's future?

Bethina425 said...

I don't think for awhile..I need to become a chef first!

Anonymous said...

I am quit honored to be in your blog!! I will cheer you on if and when you apply for Top Chef!!
Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

oops!! lazy pinkie finger on the word quite, sorry!

Bethina425 said...

Anonymous Jackie Oh!
My Top Chef consultant.