Thursday, April 10, 2008

Breakfast Cookery - The Final


I have so much respect for breakfast and short order cooks. This by far was the most intense final yet. Fast and precise or your dish is ruined.
Eggs are tricky.
I had four plates to produce in 90 minutes, complete with juice, coffee, potatoes and meat.
Order #1
Eggs Benedict with Potatoes Rosti and a side of fresh diced pineapple. Sparkling cider to drink. (yea -the hollandaise didn't break, and poaching was spot on )
Order #2
Hazelnut Waffle with whipped butter, a side of sausage and a Coffee Latte. (Oops - I put salt instead of sugar in the latte and the waffle was a little light)
Order #3
Two eggs over easy with Corned Beef Hash, toast and a side of nectarines and blueberries. (whew, my eggs survived the flip-easy does it))
Order #4
Three Cheese Omelet, Smoked Duck with a Cherry Sauce and O'Brien Potatoes and a Cafe Latte. (omelet was in one piece with a good color and I made a new Latte with sugar instead of salt) This is the dish I have pictured only because it was my last one and I didn't have time to take shots of my other plates.

It was a difficult time frame and many in my class didn't finish getting all their dishes out on time. My new partner (Craig) and I worked well together and I was pleased at my results. Except for the salt in the latte I had no complaints.
We were all exhausted and went next door to "Little Otto's and had a beer and a shot. Who would of thought that cooking school would drive me to drinking?

Like I said, I have so much respect for breakfast cooks.

Goodnight

2 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

So now you're trying to poison chef eh?............
I'm glad I don't drink lattes at your house...:)
How come I never got the smoked duck with the cherry sauce?

Bethina425 said...

You mean Jimmy Allen didn't share it?