Friday, April 4, 2008

Breakfast Cookery - Eggs and more Eggs

A rumor was floating around that sometimes your Chef gave you the day off after the Garde Manger Banquet. I was holding out some hope that after we took the written final this morning that Chef would tell us goodbye - go have a nice weekend.
Wrong. It was just a rumor. We waited all of five minutes after the written final then began Breakfast Cookery.
I'm glad I grabbed my apron and hat before I left this morning. I almost didn't then must have had an intuitive flash that we would be moving forward without a pause. I even threw in my new syllabus and recipes just in case. It was a good move.

By the time we had watched three demo on cooking an egg over easy the banquet was all but a distant memory.

First we made shirred eggs (right), A baked egg dish with ham , cheese, and a little cream. Delicious. Next, a southwest scramble then a garden frittata (below). For the duration of the class I proceeded to break egg after egg trying to achieve the perfect over easy. It's not easy without a spatula.

The boys in my class are happy to be eating breakfast, I on the other can skip breakfast altogether.....

Oh wait maybe not. Tomorrow we are making corn beef hash and poached eggs.
One of my all time favorite comfort meals.

Goodnight.

No comments: