Monday, April 7, 2008

Breakfast Cookery-Egg Benedict Corned Beef Hash and Omlettes

Breakfast day two. We began our day off with omelets. I can add this to the list of food items I have been making all wrong. My omelets have always been a bit brown. Eggs should be cooked "slow and low" to keep the color a nice yellow. The finished omelet is turned right onto the plate.

We then moved on tho eggs Benedict. I know I am making progress because a hollandaise sauce no longer makes me nervous. I also felt quite comfortable with poaching an egg.
Growing up, I loved when my Mom made "eggs mixed up in a bowl". She would have a perfectly poached egg in a bowl, nice and runny, then give me a piece of toast to tear up into the bowl so I could then mix it all up. Well, I continued the tradition for my kids and it is paying off for me in class. I know how to poach an egg. I did learn a new trick. Put a little vinegar in the water to help the white keep it's shape. We finished with corn beef hash, another one of my favorites.

After class I went to Sur la Tab and bought the attachment for my Kitchen Aide that grinds meat. After making all the farce meats and sausages in the Garde Manger unit, and then today the corned beef hash - I couldn't stand it. I wanted to be able to do this at home.

1 comment:

Ginna Traina said...

The truth is she tried to kill my husband.
By the time she was done cooking, he had eaten eggs benedict, eggs over easy, 2 types of omelettes and waffle. I now know I have to keep a stomach pump handy.
I must say, he loved it, especially the omelette with the sausage zuchinni filling and the waffle.
Big disappointment in chef for knocking off points on the waffle...What does he know????