Thursday, March 13, 2008

Physiology of Taste- Salty, Picante and Sweet

I walked into class this morning to twenty different varieties of pepper and about fifteen different types of salt poured out in small bowls.

Chef told us to get a piece of bread and some lemon water and start tasting.

We do move from one unit right into the other.

After about 10 different peppers my tongue was starting to become raw. I fell in love with a Balinese Black Pepper before my taste buds gave out. The bread and water helped.

Hence, was the beginning of my next unit on Physiology of Taste and Smell.

I was so amazed at how varied these salt and peppers were in their strengths and tastes.

I was given a book titled The Elements of Taste by Gray Kunz and Peter Kaminsky, which I immediately fell in love with. The school copy they gave me had to be returned in four days. (The book is out of print) My husband found the book for me on line somewhere and ordered it. It was going on E-Bay for two hundred dollars but he found it at Tower books for only forty dollars!

This book breaks down the taste process and categorizes fourteen different elements of tastes. Four of these tastes elements, referred to as meaty, oceanic, garden and starchy act as foundational elements or "platforms' upon which we build recipes. A beautiful book with a very different assortment of recipes that emphasize the science of blending tastes.

We began with the "trinity" of tastes. Salty, the king of taste, sweet and picante. All three of these push taste forward on the tongue and work in harmony when balanced properly.

To develop this flavor balance we made three recipes. Pan Roasted Salmon with Aromatic Herbs, Sweet Scallops in a Pink Lentil Crust, and Watermelon and tomato Salad.

All these recipes had distinct flavors that used a combination of taste notes to enhance the dish.

The Salmon for example began with a salty taste note then moved into a aromatic spice flavor then ended with the floral herbs. Almost like a herbed gravlax. It was really quite lovely.


The scallops were quite complex. First a crunch from the lentil crust, then salt and heat from the cayenne. Then the sweetness of the scallops come through and the garden taste of peppers then a final sharp taste of celery leaves.

For the salad, the sweet crunch of the watermelon was played off by celery root and a dressing of reduced watermelon juice, honey and lemon. Refreshing, unusual and tasty.

I'm going to like this unit. I Forgot my camera today so no pictures until I get some from a classmate

Goodnight.


No comments: