Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Garde Manger

Do you ever feel like life is just moving too fast? I need a pause button for my life so I can catch up.
How did Easter sneak up so fast and why in the world did I tell my children that as long as they came home the Easter Bunny would make them a basket? Was I crazy? Four Easter Baskets, a graduation party, Easter Brunch and head-on into my Garde Manger unit and the start of our banquet preparations. Calgon or Zanex take me away. (Maybe both)

Garde Manger is a term that was originally used to describe a food storage area.. Preserved foods such as hams, sausages, and cheeses were held in this area. Over time, this term has evolved to define the station in a professional kitchen that prepares and specializes in cold foods. Hoers d' oeuvres, appetizers, sandwiches, salads, condiments, sauces, pates, terrines, fresh sausages and cheeses. This two week course will end with our whole class working together to present a "Garde Manager" banquet.
Today was spent mostly on banquet planning and learning and practicing a basic vinaigrette, and mayonnaise.
After that we were all dismissed early so we could sit in on the demo of Martin Yan that was visiting the school. What a treat. One of the original TV chefs, his knife skills were amazing. He only used one knife for everything he did. I was hoping that he would demo his boning of and entire chicken in twenty eight seconds but he didn't. He made a few dishes including a whole cooked fish. (I tried to get a picture but I was not quick enough - as you can see) Accomplished, entertaining and efficient, I felt like I was watching a piece of history.
I went to buy his new book and his famous knife that he designed after class, but it was a mob scene. I guess I'll have to go to Sur La Tab and pay full price.
Oh well.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth,
My mom just showed me your blog. I want the sandwich! See you in April!
Love,
Em