Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Essential Skills 3 - The Final: Meat, Fish & Poultry

For today's final we prepared four different dishes, complete with starch and vegetable. In the previous finals we prepared recipes that we had made in class. Today, however, three of the four dishes were ones we had never made in class. We were given the recipes for these dishes ahead of time, so of course I did a dry run at home, and, once again, the Traina's graciously offered to be official tasters.

Jimmy Allen says he going to start a tasting blog.


The four dishes I made today were Veal Marsala, Salmon En Papillote, Apricot and Bourbon Grilled Chicken, and Pork Chimichurri Kabobs.
I was pretty excited about my Chimichurrri sauce. I had a spice blend that I bought on my recent trip to Argentina, so I brought it in today and added it to my sauce. I had made a batch Monday night for dinner and received rave reviews. I knew I needed practice on the grill since this is one thing I never do. This has always been my husband's domain. I tried to get him to give me a grilling lesson, but I realized that after 30 years on the BBQ, perfection can't be taught in a night. He said it was a "sense." I needed something more concrete than that. I tried recruiting my good friend Terry (The BBQ Queen) but she was at the Keith Urban Concert. (Terry, I can't believe you chose Keith Urban over me!)
I had to go it alone. I resorted to my book and the clock. I poked it every few minutes and prayed a quick confession for all the times I yelled at Eric for overcooking the meat.
I think I got lucky. My pork and chicken were both cooked perfectly. I served the pork over rice with some grilled squash and black beans. I made some couscous with sauteed carrots and onions, and some green beans with butter and toasted almonds to accompany the chicken.

The veal Marsala came together fairly quickly. I sauteed a mix of mushrooms before making the pan sauce and served it with pureed potatoes, and a julienne of carrots and zucchini.

The Salmon E Papillote was the simplest to prepare and the one recipe we had made in class. A mix of julienned vegetables, stock and herb butter baked in a parchment pouch. This I served with rice. It did get a bit hectic at times and I was a little worried about the time, but eventually it all came together.
I felt good about my dishes as I presented them.
It seemed chef liked them as well. I received full points on all four of them along with some nice comments. Coming from a chef of his caliber, I savored every word.

Goodnight.

5 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

Unbelievable chicken.....that's all I can say.
Of course, I'm still waiting to taste the other 3. I don't seem to remember that invitation.
However, I tasted the chimichurri sauce and it took me right back to Argentina. Fantastic!
Eva Peron would be proud of you Beth. I'm confident she served that at her dinner parties.
loveyou
xxoo

Peggy's Blog said...

I haven't "commented" for a long time, Beth... but I DO keep up on your adventure and love every minute of it. Sure wish I was there to "volunteer taste". Sounds like the best job yet! How much longer are your classes? Is there a party on the horizon???
Best Wishes,
Peggy

Bethina425 said...

It is so good to hear from you Peggy.
Give me a heads up when you and George are in town. I would love to have you over as official testers.

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting to become an "official taster"...what's a girl gotta do to get her old training buddy to include her in this fun!

Bethina425 said...

Ok Judy. This is the deal. Everytime you get me out on my bike, on a run or in the pool, you get a meal to critique.
If you can talk me into a brick, you get appetizers too.
Someone had to keep me balanced.