Monday, March 24, 2008

Garde Manger - Sandwiches

It seems to makes sense that a sandwich was invented for convenience. You have your meat and vegetables between two slices of bread, no plate no mess, and you can use your hands. Genius.
Every country seems to have their own version of the so called sandwich, even before it was officially called a sandwich. Whether it is a roll, bread or flat bread, a tortilla, egg roll or phyllo dough - something is sandwiching together something scrumptious
As the story goes, at least the version in our Garde Manager Book, the infamous gambler, John Montague, the fourth Earl of Sandwich. (1718-17920), refused to leave the gaming tables because he didn't want to break his winning streak. He asked that some bread filled with meat be brought to him and the rage for sandwiches was born. The rest, as they say, is history. Take it away Dagwood.


We all prepped the fixings and set up stations for Club, Grilled Salmon BLT, Reuben and Duck Confit with Apples and Brie sandwiches. How's that for breakfast!

We also made up some different garnishes such as shoestring fries and assorted vegetables chips. It was so fun going from station to station making up these great sandwiches.
I began with a Reuben. This made me think of my Mom. I think it's her favorite sandwich. I would say that it is her favorite but if I'm wrong I'll hear about it. Then I moved on the the club and the Salmon BLT. I finished with the Roasted Duck Confit with Apples and Brie. I was too full to eat this so after gorging a bit on just the filling I brought the leftovers home.
Eric was happy with his duck dinner sandwich.
After my sandwich binge, I came home and went for a long run. I know that there is leftover duck confit in the refrigerator at school.

Goodnight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bethina425 said...

Anna,
Do I need to buy you a thesaurus so you can find an appropriate adjective?
I'm glad to have you home for spring break - I've missed you. I'm glad you are enjoying my food! You always have!

Anonymous said...

"Whats for dinner"

Bethina425 said...

That depends. Who's asking?

Unknown said...

What did Anna write? How did she fail to capture the sheer exquisiteness of those sandwiches?

Bethina425 said...

Matt,
I sent it back to Anna for a rewrite!