Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Essentail Skills 3 - Oysters, Muscles and Lobster

Nothing like going out with a bang! This was our last day of our unit on meat , fish and poultry. Finishing with Lobster Thermidor, steamed mussels and fried oysters was pretty nice.

We took our written final first. Out of all the finals so far, this one covered the most information. I was having such a hard time keeping all the primal cuts of beef, veal and pork straight and which cuts of meat get fabricated from what primal cut. I finally had to revert to mnemonic devices as my memory was not cooperating.
I'm glad it's over. After the test I realized that my meat thermometer had fallen out of it's plastic sleeve that I keep in my pocket. I retraced my steps back to the car and found it in the parking lot. It was totally flattened by a passing car. I guess I have to buy a new one. I don't know why we have to have them on hand every day. We never used them during our meat cooking because your supposed to go by feel to determine doneness. I did use the probe one time when I was unsure if the buffalo steak was done and chef stopped me and told me never to puncture the meat. It does looks official in my jacket pocket, though.

Back to the lobster. It is a little disturbing dropping a living thing in a pot of boiling water. I winced slightly then began to think of that wonderful lobster meat and was fully recovered by the time the meat was shelled and chopped and mixed into a wonderful white sauce, stuffed back into the shells, topped with cheese then baked.
This dish was just demoed for us. We each did not get are own lobster to cook and clean. For the tuition I'm paying we should have.
The mussels were placed in a sautoir with some wine, garlic, pepper, thyme, bay, leeks and carrots, and then brought to a boil. They only took a few minutes to steam. We removed them from the pan, reduced down the liquid, monte au beurre, (finished with butter) then poured the sauce back over the mussels and served it with some toasted bread. Fast, easy and delicious.
I have never shucked a oyster before so this was an experience. Once I got the technique and force down, it was fun. We poached the oyster slightly in it's liquid to plump it up then cooled them off in the refrigerator before breading and frying. We served them over some deep-fried leeks and a dipping sauce made with cornichons, capers, mustard, creme fraiche and some seasonings. What a way to end a great course on meats, poultry and fish.

Tomorrow - the final.

4 comments:

Annabo said...

Good luck on your Final bethina! You'll do great!

Bethina425 said...

Thanks Anna.

Ginna Traina said...

Ahhh shucks...I grew up shucking oysters with my dad. I could have taught that part of the class..
Just curious..Did the lobster squeal a bit when you put him in? Just wondering.
It looks delicious.
umm.....Can't wait to have lobster at your house.
xxoo

Bethina425 said...

Yes, the lobster squealed.