Friday, March 14, 2008

Physiology of Taste - Tangy, Vinted and Funky


Where the "push" tastes have a tendency to push all taste forward, the pull tastes seek out underlying flavor to highlight them. Tangy, sometimes referred to as sour, was the next flavor we explored. What better way than with a Tamarind-glazed flank steak topped with a jicama salsa? The tang of the tamarind combined with the sweet of the salsa and the meaty flavor of the grilled steak was a perfect balance. I brought home the leftovers and my husband, who happened to stop by home, was quite pleased to stumble into this tasty late lunch.
Next we experimented with the "'vinted" taste using a full-bodied Chianti to braise a turkey leg with pan roasted winter vegetables. Hearty and delicious. I think next Thanksgiving everyone might be getting a drumstick at my house.

The last flavor of the day was "funky," better know as stinky. You will find foods like cabbage, truffles and pungent cheeses in this group.
We made a saute of butternut squash, celery root and truffles in a light cream sauce with wine and shallots. We served this over roasted spaghetti squash. I wasn't too sure about this during demo but when I tasted it I knew it was going to be my new favorite side dish. It was unbelievable.

My palate is exhausted.

Goodnight.

6 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

I like salty, funky, Tangy...
I like it all.
Can't wait to try these.
Keep cookin' missy.
Smokin' the crack pipe??? I think not.
xxoo

Bethina425 said...

You are funky and Tangy. Chef makes some interesting comments.
Tell Jimmy Allen I'll bring him leftovers tonight.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
It's really hard to read about all this great food and not get to taste any of it ;)

A turkey leg for Thanksgiving sounds good to me!

Sharon

Bethina425 said...

Anonymous!? I know who you are. You get to taste some good food on Sunday. Thanks for your comment and remind me to do these turkey legs on Thanksgiving. See how it works? You comment on something that looks good to you and I cook it for you.

Anonymous said...

Once again, I have yet to taste any of these delicious treats!

When, when, when....???

Next time, I am holding the Cyto hostage for a taste!

Judy

Bethina425 said...

Can I cook with Cyto?
Maybe a Cyto sorbet.
That sounds good after a long ride.