Monday, June 16, 2008

Regionals Cuisines of the Americas - California and Hawaii

This is Jeremy. If you played the video of the "Tarte Tatin
Flip" posted on June 11th he was the one singing in the background. He sings quite a bit when he's in class. (A very nice voice I might add.) Since he tends to be absent frequently we all decided to give him a bad time, jokesters that we are, and not show up. We all met for coffee then strolled in late. We missed his speech but came in just in time to see him demo a grilled chicken for a "California Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad. We were trying to let him know that we don't want him to miss so much class but I don't think he even noticed we were late. (I couldn't get him to smile so maybe he did.) I was going to ask him about it the next day but he was absent again!! Jeremy what's up??? He is actually, like all night, working as a respiratory therapist so I'll go easy on him.
We just miss his singing when he's a no show.
Next he moved on to Hawaii and put together a little Teriyaki marinated chicken with some onions and pineapple that he steamed in a banana leaf packet.
Very nice.


We went on to make some Poke, which is an Ahi tuna dish, a Filipino Pork Adobe , Macadamia Nut encrusted Mahi Mahi, Cioppino, and a Cobb Salad. We each take on a dish and work in teams so you really only get to do one recipe.
You have to mosey around to check on what everyone else is doing to get a feel for all the dishes.

Our daily buffets are staring to be routine. People just start showing up at the door around 11:00 am..
I'm getting to know all the staff and students from the other classes.











Just when I'm getting to know everyone...
I'll be leaving. Countdown until our final begins. 12 days.
Goodnight.

7 comments:

Down And Dirty Garden said...

I notice everything...

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Poke I know is local. Adobo I know is local but introduced by the Filipinos. Mac nut encrusted mahi may be a mainland invention using ingredients associated with Hawaii. But teri chicken with pineapples and onions steamed in banana leaf? Never heard of it before.

Why is it that people think something is Hawaiian just because it has pineapple in it? This is one of my pet peeves.

Bethina425 said...

Annie,
I'll ask Jeremy where he got his recipe and let you know.
Thanks for the comment.

Down And Dirty Garden said...

One of my best friends live in Kauai, he gave me a recipe that they used to use and i Updated it. The Lou Lou Chicken is typically wrapped in Taro Leaves and inside is chicken fish, and pork. They put a new age spin on it.

Do you live in Hawaii? Its hard to say what is local unless you live there now.

Anonymous said...

M wife Beth likes to wrap Big Macs in banana leafs and dip fries in pineapple juice brah, thats real Hawaiian food.

glen said...

that's a sweet lookin' salad beth. i bet you some cool person in your class helped you put that together.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

The lau lau (not "lou lou") I eat never has pineapples in it. Lau lau are typically not sweet, unless you have sweet potato or taro in it.