Saturday, May 24, 2008

Regional Cuisines of Asia - Thailand

I spent all weekend learning how to do a power point presentation, (thank you Matt Maxson), practicing Thai recipes and going out to Japanese restaurants for dinner.
I put together a nice Thai menu compliments of Joyce Jue, a wonderful cook, teacher and author that I have been lucky enough to take classes from over the years. I used all her recipes for my dishes and loved learning how to navigate my way through a power point program.
Some things never change. I have never liked speaking in front of a group and I still don't. After my slide show on Thailand I began the demonstration and once behind the stove I felt much better. Pictured above are the chilies I used for my dishes and below the Kaffir lime (rind only) and leaves that I used for the curry paste. Jim Traina (taster extraordinaire) bought me a kaffir lime tree for my birthday a few years back, so I had the fresh leaves and lime on hand.





I began with a Lemongrass soup, then made a glass noodle salad, Scallops in a Red Curry Sauce, and finished with Mangoes over sticky rice and coconut milk for dessert.
Whew. One presentation down and one to go!


After I finished, Chef demonstrated a Pad Thai and a Massaman Curry with Chicken.
Another feast.
I came home, went for a run, then took a long hot shower. I still smell like fish sauce.

Goodnight.

No comments: