Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Plated Desserts - Bavarian Raspberry Mousse and Panna Cotta with Chocolate Ganache


These plated desserts are quite time consuming. I learned so much and had fun coming up with various plate designs and practicing all the piping and swirling techniques. It reminded me of art class in school. It does take practice. There are so many different components. If you were making this for a crowd you would really have to have plan ahead. Pictured above is the finished Panna Cotta served on a fresh raspberry sauced with with a little sour cream sauce swirled in to produce the web design. Topped with a chocolate chip and some diced mango and mango puree on the side,.
The chip alone took me 20 minutes to produce. Glenn's dessert was the best in the class. (below) He just has that artist's touch.

Taking coated chocolate, melting and and shaping it is very challenging. (right)
So were the glass cookies. (below) You spread a very thin layer of cookie paste on a parchment paper then bake until golden. As they cool, you cut into strips and wrap them around a baking ring. They are fragile and have to be just the right temperature to work.


The raspberry mousse was served on a pool of chocolate ganache, topped with my broken glass cookie and a dollop of whipped cream and a fresh strawberry.


This was our last day with Chef Thomas. We will miss him but I think we are all ready to start making and eating some real food. The sugar does start buzzing you out after a awhile.
I've heard that some people can live on chocolate...
Not me.

Goodnight

3 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

Like I said in the previous blog...Never mix fruit and chocolate but I gotta tell ya...That looks incredible!
I may just be changing my mind here....
It's art work I tell ya...You could sell those pictures!
loveyou
g

quiltinbysea said...

Have recently discovered your blog, am enjoying it immensely. Beautiful piccies.

thepinkspoon said...

Wow. Panna Cotta with Chocolate Ganache. I have the coolest mom in the world...
:)