Monday, May 12, 2008

Plated Desserts - Strawberry Shortcake, Apple Saks.

Never never take a tart out of the oven, that has a removable bottom, without holding the two pieces together. I guess I just had my hand on the bottom center and before I knew it I was wearing a burning bracelet. Everyone who caught sight of my wrists this weekends quickly averted their eyes as to "not notice" the slash marks. I felt like Bethina425 interrupted.
I know this picture looks a bit creepy but please, learn from my mistake!
It really was the tart pan and not my Baking and Pastry grade.



We will spend the next three days practicing plated desserts. Today began with Apple Saks (above) on a maple Syrup Sauce, topped with vanilla ice cream and a "tumbleweed cookie". It was beautiful, delicious and fun to make. We also a made Strawberry Shortcake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream atop a Sabayon sauce. A wonderful sauce made with egg yolks, sugar and champagne that was fairly easy - just a lot of whisking! Just remember 6 -6-12. Six egg yolks, 6 ounces of sugar and twelve ounce of champagne. Whisk over a bain-marie and Voila. Sabayon.

You get a sense of really being creative when assembling these desserts.

The elements of a plated dessert consist of the base dessert, a sauce, something creamy, something crunchy and a garnish. I like the these set of parameters to work with. It makes sense. Rules and balance.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Ginna Traina said...

Okay...I took the picture of her arms and let me second what she said....Never do this....She look like she took a razor 3 times to each arm..Poor Bethina. I hate those kind of lessons...
Looking forward to the next plated dessert. You were so kind to drop off the desserts at my work. Everybody loved them and left me a lousy crumb..I think it was a bite of tumbleweed cookie. Can you make me a batch of the cookie? I will just dip it in your Sabayon sauce. Yummo.
Ginna