Saturday, May 24, 2008

Regional Cuisines of Asia - China

Where in the world is Bethina 425? Well, let me tell you. I have been on a whirlwind world tour that I am hoping to catch you up on over this long weekend. Much has transpired this past week in the kitchen since we began our unit on regional cooking. Check in over the weekend as last week unfolds.

We began Thursday morning (5-15) with Regional Cuisines of Asia. Chef had placed all the names of the various countries that we would be focusing on in a hat. When we finished the Baking and Pastry Unit we each drew two countries. Our assignment was to research the cuisines of these countries and prepare a presentation on it along with a cooking demonstration of a menu from that region using ingredients and cooking techniques specific to that country.
We would begin with the regional cuisines of Asia, then move on to Europe and finish with the America's and Africa.
Imagine my horror when I drew Thailand and Japan. These countries fell one day apart on the schedule. Mon and Wednesday. I felt sick. Words like demo in front of the class and, PowerPoint presentation echoed in my brain. I had a week to get ready. My blog was set aside temporarily and I thought seriously about starting zannex.

This morning began our presentations. Two days of China. As I recount the presentations, I thought it woulde be a good opportunity to introduce you to my classmates.

Meet Melvin.
Chef had told Melvin back in Current Trends that he was no longer going to be allowed to cook Asian foods for his finals. It was time to step outside his comfort zone. Chef also made it clear that you drew what you drew, no switching countries with each other. Well, Lucky Melvin drew China, but I'm sure it wasn't easy going first.
He did a great job in all his mise en place, which is key to Asian cooking. He whipped together a celery salad, Hung Pao Chicken and Sichuan style prawns dish like a pro. Good job Melvin!
Chef stepped in after that and demonstrated an Egg Flower Soup then sent us off off to prepare egg rolls, more soup, and some Lo Mein.
We finished with a big banquet style lunch, inviting the baking and pastry classes to join us.
(We're no dummies - they always bring dessert!)

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Ginna Traina said...

Do you think Melvin want to have me over for dinner?