Monday, May 26, 2008

Regional Cuisines of Asia - Japan

Meet Sergio. Handsome, friendly with a great sense of humor. He has a nickname for everyone in the class and is always teasing me because I move my mouth funny when I'm concentrating. I know I do it because my family teases me all the time at home. Whether or not I'm sewing or knitting, cooking or doing dishes, or working on the computer, whenever I concentrate intently or get lost in thought I do this thing with my mouth. Leave it to Serge to point it out to me - daily. Look at him - he just loves to have fun.
Lawyer turning chef, he is someone who is doing what he loves.

Anyway, Serge began by making Tori Naba Udon. He had made the noodles from scratch the night before. We were all duly impressed. After the water finally boiled his demo got underway. He put the soup together and it was wonderful. (Though we are all still digesting the noodles.)
He moved over to the deep fryer and pumped out Tokunatsu which is a deep fried pork dish.
Another hit.
















He ended with a Japanese style hamburger which was also very tasty. Hambaagu it was called. I thought he was messing with us until I came home and looked it up.

Chef stepped in to demonstrate some sushi rice and sent us all off to get everything ready for the sushi making extravaganza.
After we had all our fixings ready, he gave us a demo on hand rolling with a bamboo mat.





We were all were on our own to
create our sushi masterpieces.


Goodnight

3 comments:

Ginna Traina said...

HEELLLLOOOOOOO Sergio....
Beth, you are So naive...He is blowing kisses at you!
By the way....Could you please tell him I love Udon.
I have a new respect for Hambaagu...Can I order that with fries?????

Anonymous said...

This was by far your best blog entry.

Bethina425 said...

I think it was my subject matter..